Print Page  |  Sign In  |  Members only
The Seal

The Company was first granted a seal under the Charter of Incorporation (1437). The first example of a seal of the Company in the archives is attached to the Byelaws confirmed in 1594. The matrix for this seal is still in the Company's possession and is displayed in the Drawing Room. The obverse is St Martin dividing his cloak with the Beggar, and the reverse is a wine tun. It is of delicate cut and closely resembles Wykeham's seal for New College circa 1386.

Search the Site
Sign In for Vintners Only