Print Page  |  Sign In  |  Members only
Entrance Corridor

The Entrance Hall was the courtyard until 1907-10. It was refurbished in 2002-3.

The bronze outer doors have an ornate swan design. Just inside are two Coade Stone swans dating from 1800/01.The fine collection of wine labels was bequeathed to the Company by Frederic St Kevin Anderson.The painting of Mr Van Horn is on loan from the Wine Trade Foundation. The framed explanation of his drinking habits implies that wine (in moderation) is good for us!

The Coade Stone schoolboy used to stand outside the Vintry Ward Charity School, bombed in the Second World War.The carving of St Martin of Tours, the Company’s patron saint, is believed to be part of a screen dating from 1708. The trompe l’oeil of Tours behind it is by Janet Shearer, and was added in 2004.

The Company has two war memorials. That for the Second World War is just inside the outer doors. It includes Lieut-Cdr T P Coode, Fleet Air Arm, who led the Swordfish attack on the German battleship Bismarck on 26th May, 1941 that crippled the great ship’s rudder and steering. This allowed the Royal Navy to close in and sink her the following day. That for the Great War is beside the carving of St Martin. .

Search the Site
Sign In for Vintners Only


UPCOMING EVENTS

12/01/2018
Vintners Company Wine Trade Lunch 2018

SWAN 'E' NEWS